Cameras for Portrait Photography in 2014 – My Top 5
With the ever-increasing numbers of photographers globally, more professionals and amateurs want to create high quality photographic portraiture. With a little practice and the right equipment, there is no reason why nearly everyone can take amazing portraits themselves. For professional being paid for a service, he or she must produce excellent portraits. Getting the best portrait camera can be quite a challenge given the abundant choices that are available in the market. Nevertheless, you can find good cameras that come at prices below $800 from renowned brands like Samsung, Sony, Canon, and Nikon. For two of the cameras I tested below I would like to thank my friend Melissa from iPortrait Photography Brisbane, she has an amazing range of cameras which they use in the studio for different styles. For this article I was able to test both the Nikon and the Canon at the iPortrait Photography Studio. The other three cameras (one of which I personally own) I used in a different photo studio located in Sydney..
Below we have a brief look at the best 5 Cameras for portrait photography in 2014. These are ordered according to value for money.
Samsung ST550 is a great camera for portrait photography.
- It features two LCD screens where many of the competitors have just a single screen. This camera features a larger 3.5-inch screen that is situated on its backside and a small 1.4-inch LCD screen on the front side.
- The front LCD screen can come in handy when taking self-portraits as they allow the user to take neat personal photographs without any mess. This is because the user can see the pictures that they are taking on the front screen, before snapping the pictures. Another benefit of this camera is its reasonable price, which is approximately $300.
Olympus Stylus Tough 8000
I borrowed this camera recently from a friend who just made the purchase, for the price the results were quite impressive.
- This is the second best camera for portraits photographs. This is because it takes high grade and beautiful photographs. The Olympus Stylus Tough 8000 has a portrait mode that is inbuilt in the camera. This portrait mode feature gives the user a fool proof and simple way of taking high-grade portraits of other people and also self-portraits.
- The Olympus Stylus Tough 8000 is also considered as being imperishable and can be used to take photographs under water. This is pretty attractive for a digital camera that comes at a cheap price of less than $400.
Nikon has always been a leading player in the camera industry, the Nikon D300 is a nice choice for portraits.
- For photographers who serious with photography and want to take sharp portraits, then they may consider Nikon D300. This camera consists of all features and characteristics that any professional would love to have. In addition, it produces high quality photographs and using this camera to take pictures is quite fulfilling.
- Nikon D300 is quite hefty with regards to price; nevertheless, it is definitely worth the price for individuals who take photography as a career because of the remarkable portrait photographs. This camera is available at a cost of $1,200.
Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS
Another model in the EOS range by Canon – The Rebel XS
- This camera is suitable for beginners who are just starting out and want to take stunning and high quality pictures. It also offers a good start especially for people who have never used DSLR cameras before. This camera has an enhanced autofocus system and has grander image quality giving the users excellent pictures.
- Features a resolution of over 14 Megapixel and a 6X optical zoom range and it has very high performance in low light. In addition, the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS camera is very easy to use and it comes at an affordable price of about $450.00.
Sony Alpha A230L
The Sony Alpha A230L is one of the best cameras released by Sony.
- This camera has all the wonderful features that most photographers would want in a DSLR. In addition, it comes at an economical price range that most people can afford.
- The Sony Alpha A230L camera is suitable for beginners who want to take pictures using a DSLR and they do not want to spend lots of cash buying a camera. The Sony Alpha A230L comes at a price of under $400 and it takes high quality and stunning portrait photographs.
Portrait photography can be quite challenging for most people, especially those who are new in the field. This is because it does not just involve taking pictures randomly as this can be done by anyone. This type of photography calls for expertise and experience on the part of the photographer. However, the camera that one uses can also affect the quality of the pictures that you take.
Lastly, there are various models and brands of digital camera in the photography industry and some of them are better for taking portraits when compared to others. Therefore, it is important for any photographer whether a beginner or an amateur to know the best five cameras for Portrait Photography in 2014.